The Paddlesteamer Conqueror was built 1897 by Eltringhams of South Shields, classified as an Iron Paddle Tug/Excursion steamer. She was 131 feet in length, with a gross tonnage of 224 tons. Her official number was 108177.
She was delivered new to Thos. Sandford of Gravesend and spent her winters on tug duties between Harwich and Newhaven. During the summer, she was used for cross channel foot-passenger excursions, running from the East Kent coastal towns to Boulogne, Calais and Dunkirk. In 1902 her owners were listed as John Page & G & W Sandford of Gravesend but in 1903 she was sold to the much larger Elliott Steam Tug Co, London.
Having served during the First World War as HMS Bustler she returned to her original name and was purchased by the Jersey Steam Shipping Company in 1919 and, two years later, began a four year stint of working in Scotland for various operators. Her final owners, Tees Towing Company of Middlesborough, acquired her in 1925 and renamed her Hurworth and later, Hutton Cross, under which name she was scrapped at Clayton & Davie's yard at Dunston in August 1934.
At the Conqueror Alehouse, we like to keep things local while, at the same time, realizing that our customers like something different now and again. With this in mind, we'll be stocking mainly beers from Kent breweries and slipping the occasional "foreigner" in to give a bit of variety.